The other night I had the string quilt out, I was measuring it to see how many more squares I had to go before I had the right size for my bed. Sadie threw herself onto my bed and said “Can this be for me?”
“Mama, can I have this one? This one is pretty”
“Is my blanket done yet? Needless to say, she’s claimed this one as her own. I’m not really sad, I mean, I like this one a lot, but when I measured it for my bed, I had to double what I had already done, and its taken MONTHS to get this far. When I snuck into Sadie’s room and put it on her new day bed, it fit, and nicely too. Being a day bed, a traditional twin duvet hangs over too far off the edge and then falls off at night. This quilt is more like a small twin than a full one would be.
There was a lot of debate in my head about how to quilt it, but in the end, I figured it was busy enough without the addition of machine quilting, so I hand tied it with some pretty raspberry coloured pearle cotton thread.
I took apart her old duvet cover to use as the back and binding for her new quilt. This sucker should be pretty warm come winter too, being that its got an extra layer of fabric.
I’m looking forward to relaxing tonight. Finishing a quilt always strains my back.
I only started this little quilt last year, but now here it is all finished up. I got pretty frustrated at how slow the hand quilting took. I was a beginner though, I should have known. So, last year I told myself I had no time to do this and balled it up and threw it in my closet. Yes, that’s how to deal with ones problems…ball them up and ignore them.
But a couple weeks ago I was cleaning said closet and found my little forgotten quilt. Since I was back watching Dr. Who, it seemed like a perfect time to pick it up again. (Dr. Who and I needed a break, but then while browsing pinterest one night I saw David Tennants face and told myself I’d give him another shot). I almost gave up after Rose left. Oh my heart. So anyways, back to my little quilt.
Its my last crib sized quilt for now. Machine pieced together with vintage floral sheeting in yellows and oranges. I then hand quilted around each square with a pretty bright yellow cotton thread. I thought about hand binding that, but my sloth won that battle and I just ran it through my machine. No patience for that. I barely finished this sucker after a year. The backing is a vintage sheet that was my grandmas. I love that fabric, but I think its the last piece that I have.
So, thats my latest finished quilt. I’ve got 4 still in the works, but next I need to assess the damage on the pink chevron quilt top and see if its usable. Check on #mirandaquilts to see my work in progress on instagram. User name is jamesblonde85